- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 400g/14oz), cut into even chunks
- 250g red split lentils
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 80g bag of spinach
- 4 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal, to serve
- ½ small pack of Thai basil, leaves torn, to serve
- STEP 1Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a wide-based pan with a tight-fitting lid.
- STEP 2Add 1 finely chopped red onion and cook over a low heat for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- STEP 3Add 1 crushed garlic clove, a finely chopped thumb-sized piece of ginger and 1 finely chopped red chilli, cook for 1 min, then add 1½ tsp ground turmeric and 1½ tsp ground cumin and cook for 1 min more.
- STEP 4Turn up the heat to medium, add 2 sweet potatoes, cut into even chunks, and stir everything together so the potato is coated in the spice mixture.
- STEP 5Tip in 250g red split lentils, 600ml vegetable stock and some seasoning.
- STEP 6Bring the liquid to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook for 20 mins until the lentils are tender and the potato is just holding its shape.
- STEP 7Taste and adjust the seasoning, then gently stir in the 80g spinach. Once wilted, top with the 4 diagonally sliced spring onions and ½ small pack torn basil leaves to serve.
- STEP 8Alternatively, allow to cool completely, then divide between airtight containers and store in the fridge for a healthy lunchbox.