Critical Overview: The Best Vegan Sandwich Combinations
Many people struggle to find suitable sandwich fillings during Veganuary, as most classic sandwich combinations are based on meat and dairy. However, vegan sandwiches can be a joy to create, as they offer endless possibilities for experimentation. In this post, we will discuss the considerations to keep in mind when making vegan sandwiches, along with the top 10 best vegan sandwich combinations.
Making the Best Vegan Sandwiches: Considerations
When creating a vegan sandwich, it is crucial to select the appropriate bread. Most supermarket bread and rolls are vegan, but one should be mindful of milk, buttermilk, whey, lactose, and honey, which can sneak in, particularly in “specialist” bread such as flavored bread, flatbreads, naan, and soda bread. Additionally, one should choose a bread that they enjoy as it can significantly affect the overall sandwich experience.
Using butter replacements is also a crucial consideration when making vegan sandwiches. Many butter replacements are now available in UK supermarkets, but it is important to watch out for milk, buttermilk, whey, and lactose, which can sneak in. While cheaper alternatives are available, they tend to have a higher water content and do not substitute as well. More expensive butter replacements are available, but they tend to have distinct tastes such as coconut.
Combinations of Ingredients
To make the best vegan sandwiches, the ingredients must be carefully selected and constructed to make them shine. The best vegan sandwiches typically include something creamy or fatty, something salty, something crunchy, a leaf, and a punchy flavor. Additionally, it is essential to include a protein source in the sandwich, such as nuts, seeds, hummus, or tofu. Some ingredients can fulfill more than one of these functions.
Top 10 Best Vegan Sandwich Combinations: Veganuary 2022
- Vegan Cheese & Marmite Sandwich
Cheese and Marmite sandwiches are a classic, and they are undoubtedly one of the best vegan sandwiches. One can use Violife Epic Mature and branded Marmite to make this sandwich. The ingredients for this sandwich are two slices of bread, Marmite, cheese, and lettuce or a handful of baby spinach.
- Vegan Hummus & Encona Sandwich
This sandwich is far and away one of the best vegan sandwiches. One can make it with hummus, baby spinach, pumpkin seeds, slices of tomato, and a teaspoon of Encona Scotch Bonnet Sauce. The ingredients for this sandwich are two slices of bread, hummus, baby spinach, pumpkin seeds, slices of tomato, and a teaspoon of Encona.
- Vegan Onion Bhaji Sandwich
While this sandwich is not a frequent option, no best vegan sandwich list is complete without it. One can make it with supermarket onion bhajis and Helman’s vegan mayo. The ingredients for this sandwich are two slices of bread, lettuce, onion bhaji cooked in the oven and left to go cold, mango chutney, and vegan mayonnaise.
- Vegan BLT – Tofu Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich
Tofu lettuce and tomato is a sophisticated option for a vegan sandwich. One can make it with Cauldron tofu and Helmam’s vegan mayo. The ingredients for this sandwich are two slices of bread, slices of tofu, slices of tomato, lightly toasted bread, mustard, and Helman’s vegan mayo.
5. Vegan Fried Cashew Nut Sandwich (Hot): The vegan fried cashew nut sandwich provides a unique and flavorful twist on the traditional sandwich. This sandwich is comprised of two slices of soft bread, hot and sizzling cashew nuts, and a sweet and salty sauce. Despite its simplicity, this sandwich is sure to impress with its combination of textures and flavors. To make the sandwich, one simply needs to bake or fry cashews until golden brown, spread both slices of bread with butter and either ketchup or brown sauce, add the cooked cashews, and serve.
6. Vegan Peanut Butter and Lettuce Sandwich: The vegan peanut butter and lettuce sandwich is an easy-to-make and delicious option for a picnic or a quick lunch. This sandwich requires only two slices of bread, peanut butter, and lettuce. The peanut butter does not require refrigeration, making it a convenient choice for those on the go. To prepare the sandwich, one simply needs to spread peanut butter on one slice of bread, add lettuce, top with the second slice of bread, slice, and serve.
7. Vegan Mushroom Pate and Spinach Sandwich: The vegan mushroom pate and spinach sandwich is another easy-to-make vegan option. This sandwich requires two slices of bread, mushroom pate, and baby spinach. Mushroom pate does not require refrigeration until it is opened, making it a convenient option for those who need to transport their sandwich. To prepare the sandwich, one simply needs to spread mushroom pate on one slice of bread, add spinach, top with the second slice of bread, slice, and serve.
8. Vegan Avocado, Sundried Tomato, Rocket, Basil, and Pumpkin Seeds Sandwich: The vegan avocado, sundried tomato, rocket, basil, and pumpkin seeds sandwich provides a delicious and healthy option for those looking for a more substantial sandwich. This sandwich requires two slices of bread, tapenade, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, a ripe avocado, and pumpkin seeds. To prepare the sandwich, one simply needs to spread tapenade on one slice of bread, add tomatoes, avocado, pumpkin seeds, and top with rocket and basil leaves. Top with the second slice of bread, slice, and serve.
Vegan Mexican Chilli Beans, Peppers, and Cheese Sandwich: The vegan Mexican chili beans, peppers, and cheese sandwich provides a hearty and spicy option for those looking for a more substantial sandwich. This sandwich requires two slices of bread, butter, onion, one tin of black-eyed beans, rapeseed oil, fajita spice mix, peppers, and cheese. To prepare the sandwich, one simply needs to sauté onion, peppers, black-eyed beans in a good glug of rapeseed oil and a teaspoon of fajita spice, spread butter on one slice of bread, add the Mexican mix,